Two parking spaces next to the Cranberry Township Municipal Center have been set aside for short term use by individuals who may be exchanging goods bought online, transferring child custody, or handling other sensitive face-to-face transactions. The side-by-side spaces, which are clearly marked and video monitored 24/7, are intended to provide a safe neutral ground where the parties can meet and transact their business in close proximity to the Cranberry Police Department. The Department cautions, however, that its officers neither participate in nor act as official witnesses to these transactions. Township police offer the following safety tips for use of the Safe Exchange Zone:
• Complete transactions during daylight hours.
• Do not go to the transaction alone.
• Make sure a family member or friend is aware of the transaction details.
• Only conduct transactions with local buyers/sellers.
• Do not go into someone else’s house and don’t allow them into yours.
• Be extra cautious when buying or selling valuable items such as vehicles or jewelry.
• Only use cash or money orders to complete transactions. Wired funds usually indicate fraud.
• Trust your instincts. If it sounds like a scam it probably is.