Recycling e-waste and other hazardous materials
Appliances Details about disposal and recycling options.
Battery Giant - processes and recycles all types of batteries by delivering them to a permitted U.S. Environmental Protection Agency battery recycling facility. Battery Giant of Pittsburgh 10 St. Francis Way, Cranberry Township, PA. Ph: 724-741-6200.
Best Buy - offers an electronics and appliance trade-in and recycling program to reduce e-waste. The program includes a home-haul service for large appliances and TVs. Call for details. Website: www.bestbuy.com/recycle. Best Buy, 1000 Cranberry Square Dr. Ph: 724-778-8300.
Disposal options for: antifreeze, cell phones, CFL bulbs, ink & toner cartridges, motor oil, tires. Earth911.com
- Appliances(refrigerators or freezers, or air conditioners)
- CardboardBoxes Use the recycling unit in the Municipal Center rear parking lot
- Home Electronics
Ink and Toner Cartridges
Unless they are damaged, these items can be sent back to their manufacturers where they are refurbished, refilled, and resold to other customers. Collection options:
Best Buy 1000 Cranberry Square Drive,
Office Max 1000 Cranberry Square Drive
Staples 1675 Rt. 228
Cranberry Public Library
Motor Oil Essentially every auto service business will accept used motor oil drained from lawn mowers, outboard engines, motorcycles, and other internal combustion engine devices. Oil is sent for reprocessing and reuse.
- Pour all collected used oil into a clean, empty, sealable container such as a plastic milk jug. Specialized used oil containers can be purchased at local auto parts stores.
- Do not mix used motor oil with any other substances, such as antifreeze, paint or other chemicals.
- Call ahead to confirm the hours of operation and to be sure that the site still accepts used oil.
- At the collection site, ask an attendant where to deposit used oil. Don't leave your container of used oil at the site unattended.
- Take your empty container home to use again.
- Goodwill Industries Ph: 724-776-0958, 20668 Rt. 19, Cranberry Twp., PA 16066.
- St. Vincent De Paul Society Ph: 724-287-8682, 157 Elm St., Butler , PA 16001
- AMVETS Ph: 412-937-9010, 2222 Noblestown Rd., Crafton, PA 15205
- Thomas Merton Center Ph: 412-361-3022, 5125 Penn Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15224
- The Salvation Army Ph: 724-285-8282, 1623 N. Main St., Butler, PA 16001
- Vietnam Veterans of America Ph: 1-800-775-8387
- FreeCycle Network Usable items you no longer want may be of real value to someone else. Visit the Butler FreeCycle website.