Decks Sheds Pools & Enclosed Porches
Residential Building Permit
Requirements and Procedures
If you are applying for a Building Permit for any of the following - Use the Type I Residential Building Permit Application from the Residential Building Permit Package.
- DECKS (OVER 30 INCHES ABOVE GRADE LEVEL)
- SHEDS (OVER 1000 SQUARE FEET)
- UN-ENCLOSED PORCHES
*Please check with your Homeowner's Association (HOA) prior to applying for any Building/Zoning Permits.
YOU WILL NEED THREE (3) THINGS
#1. LOT SURVEY OR PLOT PLAN
A copy of your lot survey or plot plan showing the proposed location of the deck, porch, or shed.
A. Draw the structure on the copy of your plot plan, (as close to scale as possible) showing where it will be located on your property, and noting the distances the structure will be from your property lines.
#2. STRUCTURE DESIGN
Two (2) copies of the structure design on standard size paper 8 1/2" X 11" OR a manufacturer=s brochure that identify all dimensions and details of the structure.
PLEASE, NO SKETCHES! NO DOODLES!
A. To have your application approved your drawing(s) must show:
1. SIZE OF THE MATERIALS YOU WILL BE USING ( SUCH AS 2'' X 4", 4" X 4", 2" X 10", ETC.) AND, . . . . . .
2. PLACEMENT AND SPACING OF THOSE MATERIALS
(SEE ATTACHED SAMPLE DRAWINGS).
3. THE DRAWING(S) MUST ALSO INCLUDE HOW THE NEW STRUCTURE WILL BE ATTACHED TO AN EXISTING STRUCTURE, SUCH AS LAG BOLTS (NOTE THE SIZE) ATTACHING A NEW DECK TO AN EXISTING HOUSE.
4. YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO SHOW ON YOUR DRAWING(S) THE DEPTH OF THE HOLES, OR "FOOTER" (A THIRTY-SIX (36) INCH BELOW THE GRADE LEVEL DEPTH IS REQUIRED FOR APPROVAL).
A "RESIDENTIAL BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION" obtained from the Community Development Department must be completed thoroughly and submitted with your LOT SURVEY/PLOT PLAN and your STRUCTURE DESIGN.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to phone the Community Development Department at (724) 776-4806, x 1104.
PLEASE BE NEAT AND BE COMPLETE!